Click on this and Register

Friday, September 21, 2012

Reflection-Turning 40

Most at times, a year passes by without noticing my birthday. The only thing I remember is the end of year celebrations. This reminds me of my youthful days when celebrating birthdays were unusual except once in a while, but this time around, my 40th birthday was triggered by my shopping expedition. My mind was fully occupied with the busy schedule for the day when the shopkeeper inquired about today's date which was exactly the same as my birthday. Having discovered that, I was filled with joy and excitement. However I was also sad for not being able to remember the day until after midday. Why should I forget such an important day in my life? I kept on asking myself if I had remembered the day earlier, I would have prepared my favourite dish and garnished it with two boiled eggs to celebrate the day. This also reminds me of my youthful days and that was certainly before the unfortunate July 7th tube station and Metro bus terrorist bombings, I always associated London with Disasters. Oh yes' blame it on my teachers and not me. You see; all the three songs that we learnt in primary school about London, were either London Bridge falling down or London Burning; London Burning; pour water, pour water'. These songs were in our memory so much so that, we sang them on our way home from school. So as I was saying; during our birthdays, our class teacher always asked us to sing a song for a special present. London burning was always part of the main chorus. But thank God that, London Burning is no longer taught in our schools in this modern days. At home, my mother will always prepare my favourite dish and add some two boiled eggs to celebrate with family members. It used to be memorable days in my life but after my mother passed away, I have not enjoyed any wonderful treats during my birthdays. My dad virtually tries to acknowledge my birthdays but the usual delicacy was always missing in the celebrations. In those days, my grandma will knock at my door very early in the morning to wish me a happy birthday. She will light a white candle and place it on my bedside after the morning devotion. The most remarkable memory which saddened my heart was that, this was my fortieth birthday and since there is a saying that life begins at forty. I would have celebrated it on a grand style if I had the means but my usual dish would have been missing again because my mom was the only person who had captured my taste during my birthdays. In those days my younger siblings would join me very early in the morning with the usual happy birthday song and some parcels for the celebration. Lonk www.horizontours.getafricaonline.com for more stuffs

No comments:

Post a Comment